Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Spinning wheel and spindle spinning workshop

Welcome to my new blog about Spinning! Here I will be nattering on about the wonderful craft of Spinning wool with spindles and spinning wheels.

I have been spinning as a hobby for the last 7 years. I took my first spinning class about 23 years ago, in the autumn of 1994. It was a weekend class given by a spinner by the name of Julie Calloway who was then living in West Limerick. I promptly fell in love with spinning and rented a spinning wheel from Julie for a month or so. However  I handed back that wheel and packed away the spindle when I found I was expecting baby nr 1. The old stone farmhouse we were house-sitting in was just  too cold to allow me to sit and spin comfortably in the evenings and I needed my pennies for baby stuff, not wool.
Roll on 16 years, and I had some time off work on sick leave. I discovered the internet, and knitting blogs, and www.ravelry.com. From there it was but a few steps to unpacking the spindle and buying some wool to spin. Before I knew it I had an offer of a spinning wheel for sale. Yes! I bought my first wheel that summer, 2010.
Things have moved on, I have more wheels and lots of wool. More on this another time.
For now, here are  photos from a spinning workshop I gave in October 2017.









Above are the photos of the finished plied yarns. 
Below are some more  photos. First, the books I had on display, then my new Hero Drumcarder. 


Next, skeins of my handspun yarn, spun with dyed fleece from Kerry Woollen Mills; a
pair of hand carders, and finally two pieces of weaving, woven by me, all wool, warp is commercial grey wool and weft is all handspun, mostly my own.





Happy spinning all! 



2 comments:

  1. Liz love your blog well done. Looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz love your blog well done. Looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete

I live in the Irish countryside. I love walking and looking at the sky overhead. I also love spinning! If you have any questions about spinning or any comments about my blog, just let me know by leaving a comment. Thanks.

Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items

Here is a post with details of some Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items. Sandra K has the wonderful Irish Fibre Craf...