Saturday, January 6, 2018

12 Days of Christmas: Day 11, a day of rest, kind of

Day 11, Friday: A kind of Day of Rest, as in not much spinning done, because life caught up with me.
However, I did manage to listen to a podcast of Marian Finucane's radio programme from 16th November, 2017, where she spoke to three people involved in the Irish Fashion industry. One of them, Deirdre McQuillan, a fashion journalist,  has written a book called The Aran Sweater, which I subsequently went and found on amazon and ordered. She also mentioned Mourne Textiles, which I would love to go and visit next summer. Maybe I could combine that with a visit to my brother in Monaghan and a trip to Belfast to see the Ulster Folk Museum and to the Titanic museum also.
https://mournetextiles.com/
Another of the participants spoke of recreating the same fabric that was used to make coats in the First World War, on the old original hand-operated loom in Sussex, I think.

This reminded me that I also want to visit McKernan Woollen Mills in Tuamgraney Co Clare, not too far away at all, They make scarves and their website is at http://scarves.ie/

I also had a look at my Craftsy account and realised that I have a few classess there waiting for me about Spinning and Drafting etc, which I would be well advised to have a good look at, Craftsy often have sales, and I may have purchased another class or two this week.
www.craftsy.com

And I had a good look at the Yahoo Group for the Online Guild of Weavers Spinners and Dyers, which I joined at the end of 2017. I do not think that Yahoo Groups is very user friendly, but I guess I will have to grin and bear it. I will overcome!

And this morning, the spinning goddesses were certainly smiling down on me - yesterday when I was fixing up the Prinsenhout, I realised I had lost a little circular clip which comes from Ashford Spinning Wheels and holds the footman onto the crank of an Ashford Wheel, I thought maybe I had dropped it at M's house, or it had gotten lost somewhere in between. I was sad, as I wanted this for another friend V, who needs one for her Ashford wheel. I would just have to order one from UK, imagine the postage, grrrrr.....
Then walking out onto my porch this morning, I happened to glance down onto the black wooden step and what was there right in front of me, yes the black Ashford circular clip! Amazing, what with all the people who had come and gone in and out that door over the past 36 to 48 hours, plus heavy rain and high winds, the clip had fallen just there and stayed put till I saw it. Oh The JOY!!
Happy bunny now - nr 11 wheel works and can be fixed, circular clip is in my bag of First Aid for Spinning Wheels and all is well with the world!

Spinning on my Ashford Joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I live in the Irish countryside. I love walking and looking at the sky overhead. I also love spinning! If you have any questions about spinning or any comments about my blog, just let me know by leaving a comment. Thanks.

Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items

Here is a post with details of some Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items. Sandra K has the wonderful Irish Fibre Craf...