Wednesday, January 3, 2018

12 Days of Christmas: Day 6: New Year's Eve

Today was a day of visiting and taking my children to the (temporary) ice-skating rink in Limerick city. I wonder sometimes what life would have been like if we had stayed in Sweden in 1994 instead of coming back to Ireland. One thing is fairly certain, my children would probably have learned to ice-skate on the local frozen-over football field!

After the driving and visiting and our traditional New Year's Eve meal of 'Whatever you want from the take-away restaurants in Limerick' , I settled down with two of my Dutch wheels in the kitchen to spin.

1980's Willy Spinnewiel on left, Bliss wheel from www.Woolmakers.com 2017 on right.  



I love spinning on New Year's Eve. It connects me to spinners all over the world and also back in time. However, I am well aware that for many women in the past spinning was a necessary and demanding task, as they had to spin a large amount of yarn of a specified thickness for the weavers. 
Me, I spin for a hobby!

Dark brown and a lighter grey-brown Shetland spun on the dark Willy wheel. The blue is the leader yarn.  



I usually link up with some spinners somewhere on Ravelry who are also planning to spin for New Year's Eve and we all spin in our own homes, take photos and share them along with a comment on how NYE is progressing wherever in the world we are.

Spinning on my Bliss, unlabelled fiber, probably hand-dyed( not by me) merino.

Happy New Year everyone!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

I live in the Irish countryside. I love walking and looking at the sky overhead. I also love spinning! If you have any questions about spinning or any comments about my blog, just let me know by leaving a comment. Thanks.

Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items

Here is a post with details of some Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items. Sandra K has the wonderful Irish Fibre Craf...