Wednesday, April 22, 2020

41 days in. An antique sock knitting machine arrives.

Wednesday, 22nd April 2020. 41st day of school closure.
Yesterday the postman brought me a large parcel. I knew straight away what it was: an antique circular sock knitting machine  'Favorit' from Sweden, first purchased in 1922. I won it on a Tradera auction online 2 weeks ago. It may actually be the only one of its kind in Ireland!
Here is the photo from the auction:

Favorit circular sock-knitting machine

I didn't dare open it yesterday, afraid of what state it would be in. While the box was sealed, I still had a functioning sock machine, a bit like Schrödinger's sock knitting machine, right?
Well, I opened it today, strengthened by the fact that I had managed to fix the bread-machine last night by changing the belt on it and had also baked a lovely loaf of brown seedy bread in that machine this morning. Success breeds success!!
The machine appeared at first to be in fairly good condition, although it seemed to be missing needles, which was heart-breaking, as needles for it are very difficult to get. I had 11 small loose needles, when I need 72 or 120.

The parts of the machine, just out of the box. There are 11 very small needles on the white box.



The Guarantee Certificate, dated 16th May 1922.  She is 98 years old, this old Swedish lady. 

I posted on the Facebook page for the Favorit machines and luckily two lovely people replied to explain to me what was what, apparently I had most of the necessary parts and what's more,  the needles were likely all in place inside the needle disc. Well, yes indeed, there were the needles in the disc.
Relief!
I am a CSM owner! And it feels great, especially that it is a Swedish sock knitting machine.
Right so, off I go to read the 84 page manual, på svenska förstås!


1 comment:

  1. Grattis, så underbart! Den måste ha kommit HEM på riktigt! Facebook har sina fördelar i detta fall!

    ReplyDelete

I live in the Irish countryside. I love walking and looking at the sky overhead. I also love spinning! If you have any questions about spinning or any comments about my blog, just let me know by leaving a comment. Thanks.

Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items

Here is a post with details of some Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items. Sandra K has the wonderful Irish Fibre Craf...