Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Day 34 Wednesday, ooops, April 15th 2020


oops, I forgot to write this post on Wednesday!
Eeek.
Oh well, not to worry we are all fine.
If I remember rightly, Wednesday was a sunshiny day.
I went for a walk in the early part of the day, and I see from the photos on my camera that I took a photo of  a small speckled brown butterfly, which I believe is either called a Speckled Brown or a Speckled Wood butterfly.
The sun was lovely, and I spoke to my mother on my phone as I walked. I recall I met the neighbouring family also out for a walk with the 2 grannies who live with them, and some of the children and the little white dog.
Later that evening, I had another walk, and a man and his daughter cycled by; turns out that I used to teach the girl a few years ago. She is now in her last year of primary school and it is totally possible that the schools will not reopen before the summer holidays, so to all intents and purposes, she is done with Primary school.
I went back out for another stroll with my own 2 kids, and as we walked I told them the names of the wild plants at the side of the road, (lesser celandines and greater stitchwort) and showed them the early wild violets and pointed out some of the trees around us. I realise that I need to take responsibility to pass on the stuff I know to my kids, because not all teachers will have the same knowledge or interests.
I showed them fasciated dandelions; these look like two-headed dandelions, where the stems of 2 or 3 flowers and the flowerheads seem to grow together so the stem is extra thick and the flower elongated. Did you knwo that there are 250 species of dandelion in Ireland and UK? I am not sure how many there are in just Ireland. I may need to look that up.
As we came back towards home, we stopped to look back at the sunset and up at the clear sky, where there was one bright planet and one twinkling star, plus a robin singing on a power line. I checked on my phone and found that the planet was probably Venus. A neighbour passed by, and she too asked about the planet. A bat flew around, and the neighbour told us about the bats they had found in her husband's parents' house after it had been idle for a while.
Nature is fascinating.
I will try to get photos into each post, but it is a bit complicated currently, the phone (where i take the photos) is not working well with the laptop. Plus Blogger tells me that photos cannot be uploaded. I need to try again later. Aaargh

No comments:

Post a Comment

I live in the Irish countryside. I love walking and looking at the sky overhead. I also love spinning! If you have any questions about spinning or any comments about my blog, just let me know by leaving a comment. Thanks.

Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items

Here is a post with details of some Irish Suppliers of Wool, Fibre and Spinning related items. Sandra K has the wonderful Irish Fibre Craf...